New Jersey Women's Heritage
Douglass College Students, c. 1925
Collections/University Archives, Rutgers University Libraries.
This photograph shows students at the newly formed New
Jersey College for Women, now Douglass College, studying in the Old Library at College
Hall c. 1925. Largely as the result of a campaign mounted by the New Jersey State
Federation of Women's Clubs, the college was established in 1918 by the Trustees of
Rutgers College as a department of the state university. The college opened in September
1918 with a student body of 54.